Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the birthday cut-off for the Early Childhood Center and Kindergarten?
- Which foreign languages do you offer?
- Does my child need to be potty-trained prior to the start of school?
- Do ECC students nap during the school day?
- How often are the students outside?
- What is your homework policy?
- What are the hours of a typical school day?
- Do you offer extended care?
- What is the House system and how are my children placed in it?
- What is your criteria for accepting a student?
- Students in ECC through Grade 1 will take French once per week.
- Students in Grades 2-4 will take French two times per week.
- Students in Grades 5 will have one semester of French and one semester of Spanish, two times per week.
- Students in Grades 6-8 will choose either French or Spanish for the school year, twice per week.
Children in the Early Childhood Center will have time to nap during the designated rest period from 1:15 - 2:45 p.m. Older students requiring less rest will be allowed to play outside at 2:00 p.m. Families are required to purchase a rest mat (available on Amazon) and take it home to wash it each week.
Children spend a lot of time outdoors at Woodland School. We are fortunate to be located on 10 acres of open land, giving our students access to outdoor space every day during recess, lunch and PE. In addition, Early Childhood students (PS, PK) can choose to explore both the indoor and outdoor classroom throughout the day, Lower School students (K-4) have an outdoor science garden and Middle School students (5-8) also have plenty of fresh air during passing periods to classes. Our Extended Care program also utilizes the outdoor space every day.
ECC (PS, PK): The Early Childhood Center program hours are 8:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 8:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. on Fridays.
Lower School (K-4): Lower School program hours are 8:20-3:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 8:20 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. on Fridays.
Middle School (5-8): Middle School program hours are 8:20-3:15 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 8:20 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. on Fridays.
Yes. Woodland offers extended care beginning at 7:30 a.m. every day before school and after school until 6:00 p.m. The fee for extended care is $9.00/hour.
In addition to our after school program, we also offer several no-cost enrichment options for students to choose from such as homework club, Spelling Bee, Sciletes, Mathletes, etc. There are also many after school enrichment options available for an additional fee.
The House system is a long-standing tradition at Woodland School. Students in grades K-8 are inducted into one of four houses - Cypress, Maple, Oak, or Pine - at the beginning of their first year at Woodland and remain in the same house throughout their Woodland career. Younger siblings are inducted into the same house as older siblings.
Students in preschool and pre-kindergarten are our "Saplings" until they are inducted into a house their Kindergarten year.
Woodland's House system is the only one of its kind on the west coast and is inspired by the European boarding school house systems, which help to enrich the school community across grade levels. Students come together with their house every month and participate in friendly House Cup Games three times per school year.
As with most independent schools, finding the best fit for your student and your family is key.
Best fit for Woodland is determined by the applicant's evaluation data and social synergy with other students in the class. Woodland is best designed for students that are able to keep up with our academically challenging curriculum.